I had these for the first time a week ago and honestly they are the best pumpkin dessert ever! Thanks to Rachel Ray and a friend Megan who introduced us to these delicious fall treats, I thought I should share the best recipe ever with you.
Ingredients: (makes 12 pies)
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
1 c packed light brown sugar
2 lg eggs at room temp, lightly beaten
1 c canned pure pumpkin puree
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t plus 2 pinches salt
1 2/3 c flour
4 ou cream cheese, chilled
1 c confectioners' sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) In lg bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 t vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 t salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
3) Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
4) Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches of salt and 1/2 t vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5) Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.
Enjoy - I promise you that these will become one of your favorite treats too.