background

Friday, March 6, 2009

Save or Spend?


When it comes to wardrobe essentials the question always comes up - should I save or spend on this item of clothing? Many of you know that I am the queen of cheap shopping and take great pride in finding steals hidden in the back of the store, at a thrift shop, or at TJMaxx/Marshall's. I have expensive taste admittedly but I love finding a deal and that is truly a high for me. It's a rarity if I buy something that isn't on sale or clearance but there are always a few exceptions. Here are some ideas of when to save or when to spend on your wardrobe essentials:
  • T-Shirts - Save especially white since you have to replace them often.
  • Jeans - Spend because the finish and fit will be much more modern.
  • Hosiery - Save, especially since runs will frustrate you.
  • Bra - Spend, a good fit can make you look 5-10 pounds lighter.
  • Gym clothes - Spend, you need to look good to feel good.
  • Trends - Save your money because trends come and go.
  • Black Pants - Spend, the fit and color will be well worth it.
  • Jackets - Spend, the shape and cut will be more flattering.
  • Dress - Spend, it won't lose it's shape and will make you feel like $1m
  • Black Suit - Spend, can be split up into different outfits and stand the test of time.
  • Work Shoes - Spend, classic heels are a must and will be more comfortable.
  • Evening Shoes - Save, they'll get trashed quickly anyways.
  • Evening Dress - Save, hit the clearance rack because usually wear it once.
  • Evening Bag - Save, see above.
  • Rain Coat - Save your money for a "rainy" day
  • Winter Coat - Spend, on those cold winter days you'll be grateful.

I'd love to hear about what you love to save or spend on so please share. Also if you have a hidden place that you love to find quality clothing at a steal don't be shy and share. Here's to "looking good, feeling good, playing good, and get paid good" or at least that's what Deion Sanders says and that line seems to work on my hubby!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Aren't there more spend's than save's??? J/K! But, I didn't see purses on your list??? I think I already know your philosophy on that one - HA! What about Scrapping supplies? Uhhh.. that would have to be a BIG SPEND! Hee hee. Speaking of spending.... I broke down and bought a Cricut the other day on ebay....just the smaller one. I am excited ;)

PRichards said...

My problem with shopping is that I have a list of what I need and I usually don't deviate from it. Maybe that's why I don't shop very mcuh... I agree with your spend/saves, but I go by brands that have always worked for me (my body type) and buy the sale items (hopefully). If I stay with the brands that fit me I seem to save money on buying it once and it being awesome rather than trying a new brand that doesn't fit right or look right. The mall up here is the same as the Freeport Lincoln Mall, so since I rarely go shopping up here (who want's to go to Washington to shop) I try to shop at the local yocal stores. My fave place up here is www.shoptiffanyblue.com in downtown CDA. Of course you can't go wrong with www.shopbop.com, www.steepandcheap.com, Ann Taylor and Banana! If only we had a LuluLemon! Geez so much shopping talk makes me want to hit Target---haven't been there in a few months. I need to come to Chicago, leave my list at home and go shopping with you!!!