background

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating 40 years of Earth Day!

I absolutely love Earth Day and every year I say to myself, I want to take the day off of work and volunteer for the day but unfortunately that doesn't happen. But even though I was stuck behind a desk all day, I still always look at how we choose to live and make some earth friendly resolutions. As a family I think we are pretty green but there is still many things we can continue to do to reduce our carbon footprint.

Our green resolutions for the upcoming year include the following:
  • Start a composting bin
  • Install a new thermostat that I can actually program
  • Continue to replace lightbulbs with greener options
  • Participate in the electronic recycling program
  • Purchase a water heater wrap
  • Convince my husband to turn off lights when he leaves a room. Can you believe I sometimes come home to 2 tv's being on? It drives me bonkers!
What are your green resolutions? Do share.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

We are working on the lights off thing too... eekkkk!! I blame the kids, but truth is that I am just as bad.
Chase must have been watching something about Earth day yesterday because the next thing I know he had a big trash bag and his little grabber tool and said, "Mommy I can SAVE the Earth TOO!" It was cute - soooo I promised him that we would volunteer to clean up trash! At least for 5 minutes because that is how long his attention span is :D

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Omg, my hubby is always leaving lights on after he leaves a room. It makes me cringe when I make the discovery 2 hours later. What a waste! Those boys :)

Glad to hear Tanner is on the mend. Those collars are NO fun at all. Stanley had to wear his for over 2 weeks and it was awful.

Tell Tanner that Stanley says "hi" :)

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have a giveaway on my blog right now for a $40 gift card to CSN Stores. Come check it out!!

Fryer Family said...

Some things we already do are use cloth diapers and cloth napkins, but I would like to use them even more. We would love to make a rain barrel like you did. I am shopping at thrift stores more now. We are really into recycling and gardening, but the garden is on hold for now. We are trying to get better at turning the TV off when we aren't in the room. Sometimes we are sitting at the dinner table and realize the TV is still on! There is always room for improvement!