background

Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Almost Turkey Time!

I love hosting Thanksgiving because it's all about the food and I love trying a few new recipes out on my family. They are very traditional food people so I usually only get a few thumbs up because what I can I say, they love meat and potatoes and don't mess with those potatoes. Slowly but surely they are getting used to my new recipes which always come from 'Taste of Home' magazine which my grandma always got for me.

I went to the grocery store to get all of my groceries on Sunday night and let me tell you people, that is the best time to do your grocery shopping! The shelves had just been restocked and there were only a few people there - yes - no playing bumper grocery carts today! Anyways - if you haven't already, start defrosting that turkey people. I bought the biggest turkey I could find which was only 22 pounds and I have 17 people coming over and we MUST have left-overs. So I think I'm going to make a small ham as well, I just need to make sure that both will fit in my oven first.


What I'm serving on Turkey Day:
  • Orange glazed turkey
  • Cornbread Stuffing (on the Oprah show last year - it's the best!)
  • Ham - I'm worried I'll run out of turkey so may need to get a small one
  • Mashed pototoes
  • Gravy
  • Corn
  • Pumpkin Pie Dip with apple and pear slices
  • Green bean casserole
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Rolls
  • Boston Cream Pie
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake
  • Turkey cookies for the kids
  • Cranberry Punch
  • Apple Cider
  • My favorite white wine - Line 39
I'm always worried people will leave hungry so I'll probably add 1 or 2 more dishes before the big day.

P.S. I'm not making all of this by myself - I have lots of help thanks to my lovely guests. Thanks in advance.

1 comment:

Fryer Family said...

I can't wait to get together for Thanksgiving! The menu looks delicious, and it's wonderful that you make sure there is enough food to go around:)