background

Sunday, October 25, 2009

DIY: Bookcase Revamp with Burlap

I have been itching to play around with some burlap after getting some inspiration from the Queen of Burlap. Sarah has a blog called A Beach Cottage and her home is just my style and full of inspring projects.

One day I was looking at our bookcases and feeling like the back of them needed a little DIY to help my decor on the shelves to pop a bit. I got a few yards of burlpa for $1.99/yard from Hobby Lobby and got to work. I worked on this project when my hubby was at work because I wasn't sure if he would like the idea or not. Turns out he loved it and noticed it right away when he got home. 
BEFORE

Using a staple gun I just stapled the burlap to the back of the bookcase. We got these bookcases a long time ago from Ikea so I wasn't too worried about putting staples into them.

I just love the texture and the brightness it brings to the bookcase.

AFTER

The texture of the burlap makes my white pottery really pop off the shelves.
Don't you think?

AFTER

I love that this project was quick and cheap with a big impact on our ho-hum bookcases. I have extra burlap and I am eager to put the scraps to use. I was thinking of making a table runner, wrap some candles, or possibly make a memo board. Stay tuned because with the weather getting colder, I'll have more time on hands for some indoor projects.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your are so crafty!

David

Anonymous said...

I love your idea, and texture is a good element in design. The rest of the fabric, you could try senciling leave of fall colors. The fact that you did something is really great since from that will come other ideas. I alway hated burlap, since from a farm, it was always very dirty. If you can't paint leaves, you could just press some and staple to burlap.

The Little Miss said...

oh my gosh this is amazing! It change the whole thing! Love it! Love your blog!!!!
If you would like please visit my blog www.littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com and enter my giveaway! We try to have a fun and AMAZING giveaway every Monday so I hope you choose to follow me so you wont miss out!
Xo
Priscila

Fryer Family said...

LOVE it!

Anna Patricia said...

Your bookcase looks happier too! :D