background

Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Birthday David!

David celebrated his birthday this past Friday and he told me about a hundered times that he wanted a Pastel de tres leche (three milk) cake for his birthday. That's all he wanted! He even "hacked" into my blog to post the recipe that he wanted me to use after a bit of research after the best receipt. Well it sounded like an easy request until I realized I would be out of town the entire week and wouldn't get home until Friday afternoon. I made it home just in time to rush to the grocery store and get the cake in the oven before he got home from work. While the cake was baking I had about a 1/2 hour to run into my craft room and whip up a really cool birthday card for a really cool guy. I literally had the card in the envelope and was sealing it shut when he walked in the door!

For those of you unfamiliar with this cake, it's a spongy, delectable cake that oozes a sweet milk from within. You bake the cake, let it cool, and poke lots of holes into it and let the "milky" substance slowly soak into the cake. The milky topping in this recipe used included evaporated milk, sweetened condenced milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and rum. Interested in giving it a try? Check out the recipe I used here. Enjoy!!!

The birthday boy eagerly waiting to dive into his cake!
Happy Birthday David!!!

4 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow, what a cake! I've never made anything like that before. You're such a good wife for whipping out a cake like that with little time to spare!

Brooke said...

Mmmmmm! That looks great :D You are super wife, for sure!!!
How was it?????
Hey, and how come you didn't share the CARD???? :D I am sure it was darling.

Brooke said...

Oh, and wish him a very HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY from us.
I can't believe I forgot that part :D

Fryer Family said...

Happy birthday Dave! Yummy cake!