background

Sunday, November 28, 2010

DIY: How to Create a Pinecone Wreath

I was hoping to complete this project before Thanksgiving but I ran out of time. I wasn't worried though because pine cones are everywhere for Christmas too so there is always time to make your own pine cone wreath and incorporate it into your holiday decor.

See this pine cone wreath below - beautiful but is it worth $50 at Crate and Barrel or would you rather spend only $5 and make it yourself? That's what I thought, let's save the $45 and put it aside for another decorating project down the road.
All you need is a $5 styrofoam wreath, lots of pine cones from the backyard, brown spray paint, and a glue gun with tons of glue sticks. I had everything except for the styrofoam wreath which is why the cost was so low.

Step 1: spray paint the wreath a brown color to match the pine cones.
Step 2: start gluing the pine cones to the front part of the wreath. I tried to fit 2 in each row.
Step 3: glue pine cones to the outer edge of the wreath.
Step 4: glue pine cones to the inner edge of the wreath.
Step 5: attach bow and hang it up.
Step 6: admire your handiwork - it looks great! Even my hubby was impressed with it.







What do you think? I think it was well worth the $45 that I saved by making it myself. It took about 2 hours to make but I found it to be a very relaxing project to work on except the few times that a pine cone wouldn't cooperate. I hung it on the door but I've since moved it to hang over the mirror above our buffet, it looks nicer and now I don't have to squirm in fear that every time the door opens or closes that it may break. So far it's surprisingly sturdy and not a single pine cone has fallen over. I hope I've inspired you to try to make something yourself and save some money in the process.

3 comments:

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

This wreath is much prettier than the one (bought one) you showed...great project!!!

Unknown said...

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. See the link below for more info.


#yourself
www.ufgop.org

Hotdog said...

Really nice!

I'm going to make these for my two daughters this holiday seaso, Thanks foor giving us such a simple and creative lesson.

Andrew